Friday, December 31, 2010

Some random thoughts

  • I love watching Teresa play with her baby doll. You'll never convince me that gender roles aren't inherent. She's so tender and caring with her. She'll pat her back after diaper changes, and cradle her in her arms to share her milk with her. Every once in a while she'll stop pushing her stroller just to bend down and give her baby a kiss.
  • We finally got our new furniture! Apparently when the store said 2-4 weeks until delivery they really meant 2-4 months, and when they said they'd be here between 9 and 1, they really meant sometime after 1. But, it's finally here, and we love it. It's sooooo much more comfortable than our old Craigslist stuff. Here's a picture of it right after delivery. We'll probably move them around a bit, but our plans for getting rid of our old stuff fell through, so we're a little crowded right now. I made some pillow covers to add some color, but the little one got chocolate on them, so they were in the wash.
  • I've had the privilege of being sick for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's this year. Fun stuff. Here's where I make a plug for Breathe Right Nasal Strips. It's time you all knew about them too. They're pretty much the most amazing things ever invented. We first bought them waaayyy back when we first got married, because Marc had a little snoring problem. They didn't work for that at all, but a few months later when I was sick and stuffed up I decided to give them a try. Seriously, they're the best ever. I use the regular ones a lot when I'm pregnant, because I have trouble breathing at night occasionally, and this last round of being sick I used the Advanced strips, and they are pretty intense. There's seriously no way you can wear one of those and not be able to breathe. Next time you're sick or stuffed up, you should try some. (T's first order of business in the morning is to pull them off for me. Which I don't mind with the regular ones, but the advanced ones can be a little painful if you're not ready for someone to rip them off your tender nose/under eye skin).
  • Marc and I celebrated our third wedding anniversary this last week. It was the first time we've been able to do so without someone throwing up. Marc was blessed with the stomach flu on our honeymoon, I was pregnant and sick the first anniversary, and last year we were both lucky enough to have the stomach flu for our anniversary. We were both feeling pretty good the morning of the 29th this year, so I was sure it would be Tressa throwing up this time. Luckily, we all made it through the day vomit free. Which is more than I can say for the 30th, unfortunately. We celebrated by eating some especially delicious Italian food, since we missed out on the stuff we had at our reception.
  • I'm bummed about the lack of snow here. I know I spent all my winters in Utah complaining about the snow, but I was finally excited for it this year! It feels weird for it to be as cold as it is outside without snow on the ground.
  • I'm excited for it to be 2011 already! That means only a little over a month until our new little girl gets here. This pregnancy has been about a thousand times less miserable than Tressa's, but I'm still ready to be done. When I was pregnant with T, I was totally terrified of labor. I pretty much thought it would be the worst thing that would ever happen to me. (It wasn't). My one solace was the idea that after doing it the first time I wouldn't have to be so worried about any subsequent babies we might have. I was wrong. I'm totally freaked out about giving birth again. Even more so this time, I think, because of how fast T was born. I'm really paranoid that I'll go into labor and not make it to the hospital in time to get an epidural.
  • T has started doing more and more pretend play, and I love it. She pretends to be a kitty a lot recently. She'll come in our bedroom in the morning doing nothing but meowing. It's super cute. I can't believe how big she is already. She turned 19 months on our anniversary. I took her in for her 18 month check up last week, and she's 34 1/2 inches tall (in case you don't remember, she was 30 inches at 12 months, so that means she's put on 4 and a half inches in 7 months!) and weighs 28 lbs. She thinks she a big girl, too. We were at church one week and she was pointing out all the babies to me. She pointed to a little girl a few months older than herself and said 'baby'. So I asked if Teresa was a baby and she shook her head and said 'No!' very adamantly.

6 comments:

Aislinn said...

Oooh...very nice! I want to see the pillows when they come out of the wash, LOL. I bet they add a nice splash of color!

So sorry you've been sick so much! Sooo not fun, especially when you're pg. :(

Funny T, thinking she's a big girl, LOL! When I ask Ciaran if he's a baby, he says, "I BOY!" He doesn't like it when I hold other people's babies, though...

I should probably take C in for his 18 month appt, huh? I'm always curious to see how closely they match up (not in a competitive sort of way...just curious!).

Eee...I can't believe you're so close to meeting your new little girl! Every labor is different, but I bet you'll get through this one with just as much panache as you did T's. Don't worry...you're prepared and experienced...it'll all be okay! (Just don't let anyone talk you into a c-section just to speed up delivery so they can leave! ;o))

David said...

Wow, that is nice furniture, I like the blue dresser with the tv on it. Perhaps it matches the pillow covers. What great random thoughts, Mom and I enjoyed you sharing them. While T was quick, you are probably closer to the hospital now then when T was born. All will be well!
Love, Dad and Mom

Melanie said...

- Vomit free holidays are so nice. You should try it sometime. =)
- I'm so excited for you and your new furniture! We got our first non-free couch when I was about to deliver Carlie, who is our second, too! It's so fun to have something you paid for.
- I totally agree on inherent gender roles... this little dude growls to us in greeting when we see him. =) But if I ever see my boys wheeling babies in strollers and/or being gentle & caring for them, it's also inherent gender roles: they're learning to be good dads, so go for it. =)
- And this is supposed to make you feel better, but I was terrified with each one (only toward the end) thinking: what did I get myself into? I can't back out now - the only way out is forward and through!!!! But it always ends up okay in the end, and it's important to keep focused on the outcome... which is a blissfully cute, screaming, pink, smiling, cooing, wiggling thing that is all yours. I'm so excited for you!
- And about the snow... we can't use our front door because of the drifts, and the icy, biting breeze froze the pipes on the side of our house where the master bathroom toilet lives, and people are staying home & closing otherwise open shops around here because of how bad this last storm was, if that helps.

Happy New Year!

Carolyn said...

I love your furniture. I love T's little personality and I am totally excited for your next little baby. You will be awesome. I am sure your mom loves all the videos I know I do.

fiona said...

Nice furniture! Aren't you such a grown-up now? ;) And you're extra cool b/c you made the pillow covers. I wanna do stuff like that! T's such a good lil' mommy, she'll be suuuuch a big help when baby arrives. I agree, so much of these gender roles are inherent, I've been seeing that (and still do) with Bran and Nuala.

And that baby will arrive in just the right amount of time so you get your epidural, and will be ONLY 8 pounds and everything will be perfect! And your hair won't even get sweaty. And if it doesn't turn out just like that, think of what a great story you'll have, having delivered your 11-pounder drug-free on your nice new sofa right into Marc's hands. Of course, the mailman will be there backing him up, because that only makes the story better...

Also, I want to try those strips. I've always meant to, and never have...

(My word verification is "gankle", not unlike "cankle"... do you have those yet? ;)

Rob and Erin Smith said...

Aww, what a cute little kitty! and a big Girl too of course, it's so funny how she thinks she's not a baby! Where did she get that idea? Hahahaha! Fiona's comment made me laugh, don't worry, it won't be that bad. It'll probably be somewhere in between with the 11 pounder version ;) Happy Anniversary, again!!!and Yay on the new furniture!!! They look nice and soft and comfortable, and I like the rounded corners. I want to see the pillow covers too! T is such a good little mommy, stopping just to kiss her baby, that is so sweet! I enjoyed all your random thoughts! I also hope you don't have to have a c-section, although, I must say, they are not that bad. If you NEED one you need one, but you won't and you'll get to the hospital in plenty of Time!