Monday, May 3, 2010

The Perfect GCS

I've been quietly and patiently working on a gourmet grilled cheese sandwich (GCS) for some time, and I think that I struck gold tonight. I can't take the credit however, as butter and Boar's Head Pepperhouse Gourmaise did all the work.

What is this Gourmaise you ask? It's deliciousness in a bottle. Every sandwich product it has touched in our house has been quickly devoured. Boar's Head describes it as, "a savory spread of mayonnaise, deli mustard and [a] house blend of peppercorns". We're both mustard haters, but we were instantly won over by this sauce when we sampled it at our local Publix (Tara's new favourite grocery store). Hopefully you can find it at a grocer near you. Below is the recipe for our new favourite GCS:



Ingredients
2 pieces of bread (we recommend whole wheat)
Thinly sliced Medium Cheddar Cheese
Boar's Head Pepperhouse Gourmaise
Sliced Yellow Onion
Butter

Directions:
Pre-heat a medium-sized skillet on a stove top (medium heat). Take 2 slices of bread and spread a light coating of Gourmaise across one side of each slice (a little goes a long way). Cover one slice of bread with slices of the medium cheddar cheese. Note: thin slices melt quicker and allow for the bread and cheese to be ready at the same time. Place slices of yellow onion on the cheese and place the other slice of bread on top of the other. Spread a thin layer of butter on the slice of bread facing you and place the buttered face of the sandwich on the warm skillet. Butter the non-butter side (should be facing up). Flip frequently. Grill to golden perfection. Enjoy :)

I would have included a picture of these wonders, but we ate them too quickly. :)

5 comments:

Rob and Erin said...

Marus, it sounds truly delicious! I will have to find that magic sauce and try it...in Seattle.

fiona said...

Mmmm...that sounds really yummy... I like that name. And WHAT? you both hate mustard?? I feel like I don't even know you, Tara... I can't honestly say that abt you, Marcus, because, other than the fact that most sane and normal, yet really, really cool people LOVE mustard, I guess I don't really have specific mustardy expectations for you. Does Publix (anyone else kinda want to giggle at that name?) outshine HEB even?!

Tara said...

What? Fiona? You seriously didn't know I hate mustard? That hurts. I've been an avid mustard hater all my life. I've recently learned to appreciate (a little) that tinned mustard Mom uses. Publix is almost as good as HEB, they have an awesome organic/health food section, so that's nice.

Anyway, the sauce is so awesome, y'all should try it (next time you're in the states, I guess...).

Anonymous said...

something here

Rob and Erin said...

This is mom ... hmmm ... sounds like a nice sandwich ... glad you have time to experiment! Love, Momxox