Friday, June 4, 2010

"baby Teresa eating birthday cake"

Yes, finally, the post you've all been waiting for! Or, specifically, the post some twins I know have been waiting for ;). I would love to say that T's birthday cake was her first experience with refined sugar, but, I would be lying. That was the plan, but in the week or so leading up to her birthday Marc and I found ourselves saying things like 'well, she's almost one, we might as well let her...'. Anyway, she still loved it. She started crying when we all were singing happy birthday to her. She tried to hide, but there's only so much you can do when restrained in a high chair. She settled for burying her face in Marcus. She wasn't quite sure what to do with it at first, and didn't really make as big of a mess as I thought she might. She was so cute, she picked off all the little flower decorations and ate them first, then she made quick work of the rest of the cake. Half way through she started offering fistfuls of cake to people. She had some strawberry ice cream after the cake, and experienced her first brain freeze, poor baby :)

Before we get to the pictures of T eating cake, here is the cake in the process of being made.

The directions called for 80 of these little flowers. I had to make many, many more in order to get enough good ones...









Almost done...


The finished product: Her name came out a little crooked, but it turned out better than I expected it to. She definitely won't be getting a cake this involved every year.






And then we ate it.


Now on to the Teresa pictures, there's a lot of them, I just couldn't narrow it down anymore than this!

She liked the candle, but not so much the singing...




"It's all for me?!?"







"Anyone else want to try?"


"I'll give some to Mom!"





"Hmm, this is kinda cold..."


"okay, it's REALLLLLY cold!!"


"totally worth it..."


And that concludes our birthday party posts! Of course, there's still the rest of the weekend. We crammed 20+ people into our apartment on Sunday, and had some fun with the Mellor's on Monday and Tuesday. I'll get those pictures up one of these days ;)

And, for those who are interested, T had her twelve month appointment on Tuesday. She weighed in at 21 pounds 10 ounces and was exactly 30 inches long. The doctor said she is taller than average, weighs slightly more than average, and has a slightly bigger head than average. In other words, she's perfectly proportional :). Her hemangioma looks good, the doc thinks it's starting to go away, so good news on that front!

6 comments:

Rob and Erin said...

Wow, that is some serious cake decorating! Way to pay attention to detail! I love those cute little flowers, what an awesome cake! Not to mention the main cake-eater! Now she just plain takes the cake! Haha!

Her hair is so curly. Tara, I LOVE all the cake eating pictures. It's almost like being there!

The empty cake platter is hilarious! Just Gone! Must have been yummy! We love you guys!

Happy Birthday, little T!

David said...

THIS IS MOM ... Hi there all of you ... Dad & I just now viewed your 3 most recent posts ... yes, it took us that long. We just returned from being gone all week ... oh, the pictures are wonderful! Thanks for posting them all so quickly ... Little T is so cute all the time... opening the gifts, eating the cake ... just standing there ... guess she was walking. She has some great facial expressions. Yes, ice cream is cold, but yummy ... remember Bran asking us if we could warm up his ice cream! It was nice to see pics of Marc's family too... little Jamar is very cute too ... you look wonderful in that fam pic, the 3 of you ... very nice pic of all including little T. Thanks again ! Love, Mom (Dad too)xox

fiona said...

Tara, that is an awesome cake! I am honestly quite impressed by your skills. But you are very crafty, so I shouldn't be. The flowers...wow. That's cute that little T didn't exactly love the singing. She doesn't seem to usually mind being the center of attention! Yeah, Bran still has a big-time problem with how cold ice cream is! I don't mind. I usually get to "help" him out...

And thanks for FI-nally getting up the cake pics! ;) N&B were seriously so expectant when we were looking at BIRTHDAY pictures. I mean, come on! ;D I will show them to them tomorrow. I predict that N loves the pink flowers. And I will not show them the pictures of THEIR first bday cake in comparison. Not that it was bad, in my own defense, haha, but it definitely wasn't like this lovely one!

Aislinn said...

Waaaaiiittt a minute...there is no way T still weighs less than Ciaran! Are you sure? Did the dr weigh her right? LOL. BTW, one of the measurements must be off too, because Ciaran came in at 30" also and I'm pretty sure T still has a little bit of a height advantage, LOL.

Don't you love how I skipped the whole birthday part of the post and got right to the comparisons? LOL ;o) You did an AMAZING job on that cake! Wow! I love the empty platter pic after, too. Too bad you didn't save any for us so I could rave about how yummy it was, too...just kidding. ;o)

She looks so cute eating it! I love the look on her face after the ice cream, LOL!

We had a blast with you guys...miss you!

Melanie said...

I was wondering how you ate all that cake! She's adorable... hard to believe she's only 1, actually. It seems like she's been here forever. I think it's funny to think of you 2 without her... not complete. Congratulations on 1 year old, congratulations on adorable!!!!

Carolyn said...

Tara so adorable. I love that Teresa has her own opinions already. Lisa's little Spencer insist on about only 3 outfits because he must wear "baseball". It is so fun how early they decide things. I love all the adorable pictures and the stories of her cake eating and banana snitching and kiss withholding. What a delightful addition you have.