Sunday, December 14, 2008

My First Deer [Contains Graphic Content]

I got a chance to go deer hunting this weekend with my Dad and his neighbor, Ralph. Ralph owns part of a 1600 acre ranch outside of Del Rio, TX and we headed down to have some fun. Tara and I drove down to San Antonio where we met up with my Dad and Ralph and then Tara headed on to her parents. We didn't get to bed until 1:30 that night and were up by 5am. We spent Friday morning watching some deer and touring the ranch. Saturday morning we all had our spots picked out, and after watching a buck for a little bit, I decided to take him at 7:31am. It took us another two hours to get the deer back to camp and cleaned up, but it was a lot of fun and a great trip to get my first deer. As a tradition in the camp, you get "war paint" (deer blood) put on your face when you get your first deer. I've had the opportunity to hunt ducks, geese, and rabbits, but this was my first deer. Below are pictures of the the deer and my war paint.



4 comments:

Rob and Erin said...

Congratulations Marcus! My stomach turned thinking of all the blood. Your "rosy" cheeks make you look like a cute harmless smiling gingerbread boy, albeit clad in camouflage...and knowing that your rouge is really blood kinda spoils it too... Congratulations, just the same! :0)
Y'all will have lots of venison for the coming winter--sounds like it's going to be a cold one, what with snow this early in the season and all. Way to bring home the bacon!

fiona said...

Congratulations, Marcus! We're happy for you (not so much for the deer...) So, did Tara get to help dress it/butcher it, or was that all done before you took it home? for her sake, I hope so! Y'all will have to let us all know what yummy things you make! I hear deer meat is better for you than beef.

David said...

Better you than me .... yuck! It is a nice looking deer (poor li'l thing!) At least you have the war paint part of it over now ...

Anonymous said...

makes me think Lord of the Flies. hee hee. Congrats Tex.