Saturday, August 31, 2013

Pre-School


I was reading an article somewhere recently that talked about how narcissistic this generation is, and cited all the 'selfie' pictures they post places like Facebook and Instagram. I can't even imagine how much worse it will be as T and Nora get older, because they already ask us just about every day to take pictures of whatever they are doing. "Mom, take a picture of me like this! Send it to Granny and Gigi!". Or, T frequently asks me to take pictures of her drawings and send them to the museum. Anyway. Here's a picture they wanted of them playing with blocks. 


But really, I'm posting because I sent my little four-year-old off to pre-school this week. She's been SO excited all summer. Poor kid has been waiting for both school to start, and her brother to get here, it has been pretty hard for her, especially the last few weeks. She had absolutely no qualms about going off to school without me. I was trying to get her to admit to any nerves the day before, but nope, there were none. Once we got in the car to take her she did say "Um, I think I might miss you guys a little bit while I'm at school. But only a little". Marc walked her in, but I got out to give her a hug, and barely had time to hug her before she was pulling away, ready to go. Poor Nora had the hardest time, she kept saying "but I want Teresa to come back!". We took her to Costco and got some ice cream, and let her walk instead of riding in the cart, so that made up for being left behind quite a bit. 

Of course I had to send Marc out to take some pictures before school started.


Oh, the back pack. We went to Target a week or so ago to get the few school supplies she needed. We made the huge mistake of going after Marc got home from work, so it was closing in on bedtime. Anyway, backpacks are expensive, y'all! I found a cute striped one that was in our budget but didn't feel like it was super cheap, and had almost gotten T convinced that she loved it when she spotted the Hello Kitty back packs. She likes Hello Kitty, of course, since she's a 4-year-old girl, but it's not like it is her favourite thing ever, so I was pretty surprised when she had a complete breakdown about NEEDING that HK backpack! Yeah, we were totally that family in Target. Luckily the other moms in the school aisle were all smiling at us and commented that they'd been there before too. So. I knew Costco had nicer HK backpacks for a better price, so I told her that she could either get the striped one at Target, or wait until the next day and get an HK one at Costco. She finally decided she would rather have the striped one right away, so that's what we got. The next morning she came in my bed good and early, and just burst in to tears over how much she wanted a Hello Kitty backpack instead. Good grief. So, we ended up returning the Target one and Marc took her to Costco and got the very last Hello Kitty backpack they had. 
  

  


Girl loves to pose. She came up with all the poses herself. 




Nora needed a turn at pictures, too. 






"Dad! Take a picture of me looking at that bird!"


Nora is pretty bummed that she will not be going to pre-school as well, but I am excited to get a little bit of alone time with Nora during the day. I don't want her to feel like the neglected little middle child, so hopefully we can do some fun stuff together. We'll just tell that baby brother he has to nap from 12:30-3:00 everyday. 

I thought I would have a harder time sending T off to pre-school, but she is just so excited for it, that I'm excited for her. Ask me again next week when she starts riding the bus. I'm a bit nervous for that. Her school is only pre-K and Kindergarten, and that is the only reason she gets to ride the bus, too. No way would I send her on the bus if there were bigger kids, too.

Marc went to pick her up and found her like this on the playground.



She was pretty excited that she got to pick a prize for  being such a good listener the first day! She was so cute, once she got home she spent ages in the bathroom, just standing in front of the mirror looking at herself in her "Mr. Man face" and saying stuff in a deep voice.

She was nice enough to let Nora try it out, too. 




4 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness!! She is so adorable and growing up so fast. I have asked my little guy several times if he wants to go to preschool, and each time he assures me that "No" he is not ready to leave me. Which is a good thing since I am not ready to send him either!! He does tell me that next year when he is "number 5" that he will be ready for school.
We are doing a home preschool with 6 other friends from church, so he is super excited for that to start!

Lindsey H said...

How funny are they!? I loved the poses and imagining the man voice in the bathroom.

pauline said...

Those are such cute pictures ... nice that you don't even hafta suggest the poses ... they do a really good job of that too!... and they do a really good job of looking SO CUTE as well :) Thanks for sharing those precious moments with us... love you all, Mom (Dad too) xox

Rob and Erin Smith said...

They are so cute and so Huge!! When did this happen? The Mr. Man face, love it and her poses and Nora looking at the bird! Rad, just rad!!