Friday, May 3, 2013

Things They Say

These girls. They are hilarious. I don't know what I would do without them. Here are some of the silly things they've been saying lately.

Teresa:

I'm not sure where she heard it, but she frequently declares things to be "lame sauce!" in a sing-songy voice.

When we went to see the cherry blossoms in D.C. a few weeks ago a guy on a bike zoomed by us way too fast and T screamed at him "HEY! Watch where you're going!" I was super mortified. I can only imagine it's because I'm always hissing at them to pay attention and watch where they're going when we're out in public - kids that obliviously run into people in public is a huge pet peeve of mine, so  I always try to be aware and make sure mine don't do that. But, yeah, she was really, really loud when she said it, and it was pretty awkward.


Teresa has been really interested in this pregnancy and has been asking some interesting questions. Like how the baby will be getting out of my tummy. I told her I was going to push it out, and was trying to figure out what to say next, but before I could explain further she said "Oh, okay" and changed the subject. Then a few days later I saw her watching me during lunch and she said "So, when you eat food, does it fall down into the baby's mouth?". So we talked a little about umbilical cords and belly buttons and she was completely fascinated.

She says that things are "predixtable" when she means predictable. Not that she ever uses it appropriately, but she says it a lot. Mostly when she is frustrated "Mom that is so predixtable!" with an eye-roll.

Randomly one evening "Mom, you should punch Dad. He'll like it."


The mailman brought a package to our door a week or so ago and T caught a glimpse of him. After I shut the door she said "Mom, was that the mailman?" I said yes and she responded "Umm, do you think he was kind of handsome?" with a little giggle. I said yes to that too and she said "Yeah, that's what I thought".

One night during dinner she turned to Marc and said "Dad, something just happened in my bum." Then she leaned really close to him, cupped her hand around her mouth and whispered "It was a toot. I tooted."

She is such an almost-four-year-old girl. She said to me the other day "I like rainbows and unicorns and hearts and flowers. Oh, and butterflies. And diamonds. And hearts."


After she asked me to hold one of her dolls while we were playing I started moving her arms and pretending to have her talk to T. Teresa just looked at me and said "Mom. She is a plastic doll. She can't actually talk."

One of the child care centers on base has a super fun looking playground attached to it, and often when we drive past it T asks when we can go play there. Today I told her that we couldn't go play there because it was only for the children who had a mommy and daddy that both had to go to work, and that they didn't get to stay home with their moms like she and Nora, but went there to be babysat by other people, etc. She was quiet for a minute and then said "Mom, I think you need to start going to work with Daddy so that Nora and I can go get babysat there." Kids are so good at making you feel appreciated...

Nora:

Nora used to call coconut milk her "coco milk" but has recently started calling it her "milk of coco". It is pretty cute when she says "I need some milk of coco".


One morning after I got dressed Nora grabbed one of my bras and said "Wait, Mom! You forgot your boobies!"

One day we were taking a walk and both girls were running ahead of me. Of course T was running faster than Nora and I heard Nora say to herself "I wish I could run fast. I don't run fast". It was pretty sad :(.

She says "actually" a lot. At the park I asked if she was going to go down the slide: "Um, actually, I'm just going down da steps", I asked if she hurt her leg: "Actually, I have a owie foot", etc.


After Nora accidentally spilled her drink when we were out she tilted her head to the side, shrugged her little shoulders and said "that just happens sometimes".

We are seriously not allowed to call her anything other than Nora or Nora Bora. She will correct you immediately. She has recently extended her anti-nickname feelings to everyone else as well. If we call T anything but 'Teresa' we get corrected. If I refer to Marc as anything but 'Dad' she corrects that, too.


Tonight Nora was sitting in my lap after getting a fresh diaper and pajamas. Teresa came running over in just her pull-up and flung herself onto my lap to hug both of us and Nora started freaking out. "No, Teresa! You are too naked! You are too naked Teresa, stop!". I couldn't help laughing, which made T start laughing, and the more we laughed the more distressed poor Nora got and she just kept frantically pushing at T saying "You are too naked Teresa! You are too naked!".






4 comments:

Melissa said...

OHHH! Your girls are adorable and I wished you lived closer so that I could hear all these things for myself!
Nora's anti nickname is pretty funny. My little man is very into switching people around. He will say, "I mommy, you are M. Hi, M. What are you doing?" Then he cackles with laughter. He and his best buddy do it over and over when we are driving to the library.
He is also big into jokes. Oh the knock, knock jokes we are entertained with!!

Melissa said...

By the way...LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that last picture of Nora!!

David said...

Hi there ... those are lovely pics of the girls, and wonderful, original comments too; they are so funny! Thanks for sharing and giving us a good laugh :) Love, Mom (Dad too) xox

fiona said...

These are so cute and funny!! Nora's "milk of coco" one reminds me that last Easter, when Maeve was abt Nora's age, she was calling her Easter candy her "candy of egg." It was really cute. I love the mailman observation by T, and how she asked if the food just falls down into the baby's mouth when you eat! Hilarious!! That's awesome that she had no qualms abt yelling at the speeding bike guy, haha! The pics are adorable, and look really good on the sides, instead of all centered. Maybe I'll try that again.... Oh, I love how distressed N was about the "too naked" Teresa!