Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Fourth

I think the 4th of July is my absolute favorite holiday! And this year was the best, because we had a whole house full of guests. After Fiona and her family left we had a few days to wash the bed sheets before the Mellors and their 7 kids showed up to stay with us. Luckily the Rollins' were still in town, so they were able to join us for our Independence Day celebrations. We walked over to the little festival thing on base, where the kids were able to ignore the sweltering heat and have fun with all the games and rides. I think they all agreed the sprinkler tents were the best part.





T loved this little mini ferris wheel ride. It was pretty much the only thing she wanted to do the whole time. She would finish a ride and just get back in the end of the line for another.



Nora even went up once, with a couple of cousins.


All the Dads were busy taking pictures.



Haha, poor T, she did want to try out this bounce house, but it was just soooo hot, she came shooting out as soon as she was in because it was burning her poor little feet. 



Patrick, Maire, and little Niall found some shade.


Back to the ferris wheel.


And finally, the sprinkler tents. I thought I had remembered these being around at last year's festival, so Marc and I ditched the rest of the family and went in search of them. I left Marc with the girls to go back and give everyone else the good news. It was seriously sooo hot and miserable, but these tents made everything so much more fun. The kids all loved cooling off in them. 





  



The adults went through a few times too, in preparation for the sweltering walk home. That's a sucker stick in Fiona's mouth, btw. Nora was not a fan.


Uncle Gary showed up in time for the barbecue, and the Smith's flew in just in time for the fireworks, but I guess we didn't take any pictures of that part. T and Nora had little interest in the fireworks this year. We walked over to the elementary school across the street from us to watch them. Then Teresa and I walked home to change pants after she peed in my lap, which was awesome. I guess it ended up being a good thing, since we got home at the same time as the Smiths and were able to direct them where to go for the fireworks. Nora refused to even look at the fireworks. Once they started she just snuggled against my chest, and any time I tried to turn her to be able to see them she would look away. She fell asleep after a few minutes, and T was pretty miserable, too, so we left before the whole show was over. Maybe we'll get some naps in them next year and they'll enjoy them more.

3 comments:

fiona said...

What great pictures! Man, just remembering that day almost makes me sweat. It was sooooooo, SO hot!! Yeah, those sprinkler tents were the best. Smart move, Tooks, smart move. (Finding them, I mean) That was a really fun day (despite the heat)! Thanks for making room for everyone in your place! We MISSSS y'all!

Anonymous said...

Such cute 4th July outfits ... I love the girls' skirts especially. They all had fun most of the time :) Love, Mom (Dad too) xox

Rob and Erin Smith said...

Wow, that looks hot! I remember it was hot for the fireworks, and that was after the sun was down! Love T and N's outfits!