Saturday, August 2, 2008

It's fun, but it's scary...



I'm pretty excited to write this as I know I will laugh as much reliving it as I did the first time.

Yesterday for Tara's birthday, I took her up to Sundance for a ride on the ski lift as I I'd heard it was picturesque and breathtaking- little did I know how true that would be. Unknown to me at the time, the last time Tara took the peaceful 45 minute journey through the most gorgeous country in Utah she nearly had a panic attack.

Ten seconds into the ride it all came back to her. :) We hadn't put the safety bar down until the first few minutes into the ride and I thought she would die before we got it down. The lift takes you up really high up the mountain which wasn't as much of a problem as the steepness of the lift (up and down the mountain, although going down was worse) and the relative height off the ground.

I've handled plenty of panic attacks before but I thought my best efforts would fail until I just started laughing at her. That did the trick. Below is a video during one of the steepest descents of the whole ride. It was a little unnerving but if you can get past my nerdiness, you'll hear Tara breathing really hard.




Pictured below was my prize for making fun of her (ok, so she was scared)
Below is a picture from one of the awesome shots we got. Enjoy.

We also went to the rodeo and saw some ridin' like this...




All in all we had an awesome time (yes, Tara was a trooper) and can't wait to go again!

9 comments:

fiona said...

That was an eventful bday! I didn't know Tara got panic attacks, is it just from being out in the "open" while so high, or what? I'm glad y'all got the bar down and she didn't fall out, though!! It does look gorgeous! Those are just sweet little smiley faces she left you, to remind you of her love :) Ya know, I'm kinda embarrassed to admit I'm from TX but have never been to a real rodeo, they would be so fun! ...one of these days...

Rob and Erin said...

Wow! That was gorgeous! Poor Tara, that's one way to add on the years! Happy Birthday! Nice planning, Marcus; that was quite the eventful day. I can't believe you've never been to a rodeo, Fiona. Very Embarrassing, indeed. Marcus, you're lucky to have kept your hand, Tara has really strong nails :0) and she's not very reasonable when she's panicing, which I guess is part of the definition of panic. Once in the valley when she was 4 or 5 she almost drowned me in the neighbor's pool because she didn't know how her floaties worked, luckily we both survived :0)

zachariah said...

That's a cool lift ride, do they let you take your mountain bikes up and ride down? Poor Tookies.

Tara said...

It does, we passed several mountain bikers on their way to the top. I actually thought about y'all (Zac and Fiona) and figured it would be something you would like!

pauline said...

Those were great pics...aren't ya s'posed to put the bar down b4 ya take off? heeheehee. Now, Marcus, if you'd been wearing a long-sleeved shirt, your poor arm wouldn't've been so damaged :) You two looked like you had lotsa fun :) It was a nice birthday celebration for you Tooks! xox

Aislinn said...

Marcus, you know she wasn't really panicking, right? She just saw a good opportunity to abuse you without repercussions. ;o)

It looks beautiful! I'm glad you guys had some fun despite the fear! :o)

Fiona, I've never been to a rodeo before either. Sad. Does it count if I once went out with a guy who rode in a rodeo? LOL

Carolyn said...

Yeah, I hadn't been to a rodeo until two years ago when I moved up to Utah. I thought it was pretty funny, sad that I had to leave Texas to see one. I am sorry about the scariness and about Marcus' arm.

J'Nette said...

tara you crack me up! happy birthday by the way, dont hyperventilate!!!

Justin Ferrell said...

I'm with Tara on this one. Heck no! Katie would join you though Marcus.